Most of us have been to someone’s home and upon walking in the door immediately felt the presence of peace. It’s like it hits you in the face right as you walk in and you feel enveloped by it while you’re there.
Why do some homes feel full of peace and others don’t? How can you create a peace-filled home and why is it so important?
In my own experience I find that when a person or family is centered in Christ, He is present, therefore Peace is present. Sure a home could feel peaceful because of the décor or quiet or a beautiful view, but I believe those characteristics alone don’t bring about peace. I’ve been in beautifully decorated homes that are full of discord and shabby homes that are full of peace, and vice versa.
Ultimately, peace comes from Jesus.
Why Peace in Your Home is Important
It’s clear from the Bible that Jesus wants us to be at peace, and the Prince of Peace Himself offers us peace.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27
I know from experience that we, as followers of Jesus, can experience peace in the midst of the biggest storms in life. It’s the peace that passes all rational understanding. So, if Jesus wants us to personally walk in His peace at all times, it follows that our homes should be peace-filled as well.
How Do You Make a Peaceful Home?
I asked some friends what they think helps to create a peace-filled home. Here are some of their suggestions:
- First and foremost, Peace is a Person. When Jesus is there, peace will be present.
- Home should be a place where you, your spouse and children feel physically and emotionally safe.
- Home should be a place where you are free to be yourself; where you feel welcome. Where you can rest and renew.
- Both parents being on the same page with discipline.
- A clean and well-organized home.
- Honoring and serving one another.
- A home where there is not constant discord and fighting/yelling between spouse or family.
- When conflict is handled maturely so that it’s dealt with and moved past.
- The perfect love of Jesus casts out fear. There is no peace in fear. And you should be able to live free of fear at home.
- Speak words that build others up, not tear them down.
A peace-filled and safe feeling home is so important for every stage of life! What do you think brings peace to your home?